Quaker Meeting House, Central Leeds
6th January 2024 @ 1:30pm
Fabian Hamilton talk + Q&A
- Dave Webb shared a presentation highlighting the events and important dates over the past year, which can be viewed here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g5_h4hlJ-To
Fabian Hamilton talk + Q&A
- Hugh – We need to highlight we made a loss of £12,500, but we are operating loss because of inflation and because we are doing more activities now that the pandemic restrictions have eased
- The furlough system helped us a lot through covid to maintain our balance
- Another contributing factor to our loss is that we reduced our demand for the grant from £27,000 to £24,000
- Wage increases of 10% were also a contributing factor
- We have raised our income through a variety of fundraising events e.g. stalls, festivals, benefit gigs and the Peace & Crafts Fair
- If we continue to operate as we do, there is a concern we might only survive another 4 years
- Ronnie (worker) and Hugh (treasurer) will have a meeting about cash flow
- Sam and Ronnie to look into how to cut costs on the website
- All happy with what the workers have been doing, especially the international work being done in collaboration with ICAN
- Colin suggests we do something for Bradford 2025
- Some suggestions that we should have a presence at the Ilkley Literature Festival and Bradford Literature Festival (10th Anniversary Year, 28 June – 7 July 2024). YCND could host a fringe event if this becomes tricky.
- We will discuss more ideas and plans at strategy day meeting in March
- Accounts are now more in order, following issues after staff changeovers
- We need to work on the accessibility of documents, and file digital documents better. This is particularly important if a key member of staff is not available due to unforeseen circumstances.
- Ronnie has asked for a call out for volunteers to help with a clean out. 2 dates to be set. Plan out what is required of volunteers for clean up, as workers need a comfortable environment to work in.
- Total current members: 196 (3 groups, 58 households, 118 waged, 13 unwaged/pensioners/students)
- Hugh suggests we increase individual membership to £15 not £14
- Sylvia suggests a subscription model e.g. £2 a month. This to be investigated by Dylan (worker)
- No YCND membership cards, but when people join they should get a welcome pack and the AfP. This should include a YCND badge, which we need to order more of due to low stock.
- Sam to order new Yorkshire Rose badges using Becky’s design
- Alasdair suggests this change is done quickly, and sent out to members with an appeal member
- Cath says to increase solidarity rate to £25, to account for inflation over the coming years
- Members suggest we could also encourage people to donate month, in additional to the regular fee
- Some issues with people still on database after death, we could ask if people would like to cover their deceased partner’s fee
- Colin suggests we increase rates, especially for group rates
- Amendment to £15 individual and £50 for groups & trade union affiliation
- Following the amendments, the motion passed with no opposition,
- Cath has decided to step down as vice-chair, but would like to remain part of co-ord. Debashis has stepped down from co-ord
- Sam raised that Colin has stepped up to help with staffing discussions e.g. with Dylan, but he is not available to take on the responsibility of being vice-chair
- There were no challenges to positions, and everyone else retained their position on co-ord.
- Next coord meeting on 7th Feb, where we will look into options for a new vice-chair as no one put their name forward,
Elected Co-ordinating Group:
Chair: Dave Webb
Vice Chair: Post not currently filled
Treasurer: Hugh Hubbard
Delegates to National CND Council